People, especially young people, who receive quality experiences in sport become sport lovers for life.
Hockey New Zealand is actively looking at fresh ways to deliver the game to stay relevant in a constantly changing world.
We’re striving to ensure our participants continue to enjoy the game through creating balance and nurturing talent at the right pace.
Read the Participation Philosophy and Principles which provide guidance for opportunities designed and delivered across the country.
Change is essential to survive, and hockey has often led the way with a rich tradition of innovation – no offsides, the auto-pass and modified formats for juniors as examples.
We believe that change is the driving force behind our ability to realise our full potential individually and as a sport.
Read a summary of hockey’s Strategy Delivery Review to understand the thinking behind our changes.
What we’re focused on
- Improving access for more participants
- Providing more locations to play hockey
- Lowering the cost to participate
- Improving diversity within hockey
- Balance is Better – long-term athlete development
For more information on specific areas of change, please follow the links below:
The principles which guide us are:
- PARTICIPANT-FOCUSED: Meet the needs of the individual
- FUN: Make hockey fun and enjoyable for all involved
- SAFE: Ensure a safe, supportive and encouraging environment
- INCLUSIVE: Provide equal and accessible opportunities for all who choose to engage with our sport regardless of ability, disability, race, religion, culture, age or gender
- HOLISTIC: Provide holistic and appropriate development for all, including but not limited to players, coaches, umpires, parents and whānau
- WELLBEING: Encourage healthy lifestyles and hauora
For feedback on any of the changes happening in our community please contact firstname.lastname@example.org