After a challenging year with Covid-19 disrupting the regular hockey season, we want to make sure we thank the people in our community who have contributed more in 2020 than any other year before. So, we are excited to now have nominations open for the 2021 Hockey New Zealand Annual Awards dinner to be held in April.
The 2021 Awards dinner will recognize the hard work and contribution in several areas across our sport from the top of the North to the bottom of the South. These include the following community awards:
- 2020 Administrator of the Year
- 2020 Club of the Year
- 2020 Outstanding Contribution to Coaching
- 2020 Community Initiative of the Year
- 2020 Community Umpire of the Year
- 2020 Volunteer of the Year
Each of the above award nominations needs to be submitted by your Association. You can find the criteria for each of these awards here, and we encourage you to contact your local club or association if you believe you know someone who fits the requirements and would be a good candidate to put forward as a nomination.
Also, we have introduced a *new award* for 2021 – the 2020 Sky Sport Outstanding Young Person of the Year. This award will go to an individual who is 19 years of age or younger before 31 December 2020 who has shown outstanding contribution and commitment to their community as a player, umpire, coach and/or manager. This person may have many roles or areas they are involved in and will demonstrate the ability to go above and beyond to help out. For the full criteria, click here. Members of the public, as well as associations, can submit a nomination for this award. Click here to access the nomination form.
The period of consideration for all the awards listed above is 1 January 2020 – 31 December 2020. Nominations for these awards close on Friday, 11 December 2020, with finalists being notified by the end of January.
We are also accepting nominations from Associations for the Pakistan Trophy, Life Members and Bronze, Silver and Gold Service Awards. These award nominations close Thursday, 11 March 2021.
The 2020 High Performance and Umpire Awards will also be announced at the Annual Awards dinner in April.
We encourage you to contact your local club or association if you believe you know someone deserving of any of the awards listed above.
Below you will find links to our 2020 Award winners and their impact in the community.
- 2019 Administrator of the Year: Fabian Amor
- 2019 Club of the Year: Waikirikiri Club
- 2019 Outstanding Contribution to Coaching
- 2019 Community Initiative of the Year: Canterbury Hockey and the Hurunui District
- 2019 Community Umpire of the Year: John Harvey
- 2019 Volunteer of the Year: Nathan Ryba
- 2019 Umpire Awards
- Bronze Service Awards
- Silver Service Awards
- Gold Service Awards
- Vantage Black Sticks U21 Players’ of the Year: Olivia Shannon & Xavier Guy
- Vantage Black Sticks Women’s Players’ Player of the Year: Samantha Charlton
- Vantage Black Sticks Women’s Player of the Year: Olivia Merry
- Vantage Black Sticks Men’s Player and Players’ Player of the Year: Kane Russell