Pat Barwick wins Pakistan Trophy for 2021
It is a difficult task to articulate in words how amazingly valuable Pat Barwick is, not only for her club and Canterbury Hockey but for hockey in its entirety, both nationally and internationally. She is a true champion that is extremely generous with her knowledge and experience while continuing to motivate and inspire so many generations of players, officials, and coaches.
Her achievements and contribution have been magnificent for many years, none more so than the past 12 months:
- Provides a critical role in supporting Hockey NZ to lead the creation of the Community Coaching Plan and provide a clear direction for coaching. Pat has worked alongside Hockey NZ to design and implement the first hockey specific Developer and Trainer programme
- Provides support for the Hockey NZ Women in Coaching Programme targeting the development of female coaches to prepare them for roles in performance hockey
- Key development member of the mentoring support for the Sport NZ Coaching for Impact Programme
- Convenor of the Canterbury Men’s National Hockey Championship Teams Trials 2021
- Member of the interview panel for Canterbury Hockey Associations ‘Talent Development Manager’ role
- Member of the Canterbury Hockey’s 2021 Representative Coach Selection Panel (Panel member for several years)
- Member of Canterbury Hockey’s 2021 Annual Awards Selection Panel (Panel member for several years)
- Member of Canterbury Hockey’s ‘Youth Development Working Group’ (2020-Present) – supporting CHA staff to plan and implement changes to junior/youth hockey i.e. removal of ‘U13/15 representative teams’, to better support the needs and development of all young players
- Coach Mentor in Canterbury Hockey’s U13 & 15 Development Programmes – support the CHA staff to plan and deliver one on one coach mentoring/support to over 20 coaches during our 2021 programmes (approx. 30 hours of time committed to the programmes)
- Sky Sport Commentator for the 2021 Ōtautahi Cup matches (live streamed)
- Hockey NZ Trainer and Developer, Commentator, Guest Speaker, Advocate for Women in Coaching
- General mentor and support for CHA staff
- Current Carlton Redcliffs Club committee member (Member for several years)
- Currently Carlton Redcliffs Club ‘Coaching Co-ordinator and Mentor’ in charge of supporting all club coaches
- Kiwi Sticks Umpire Coach – supports junior umpires and umpire coaches at St Andrews on Saturday mornings throughout the winter season.
Pat has also been involved with and achieved the below over the years (to name just a few):
- Travelled to Rockhampton in 2019 to deliver an FIH Level 3 and FIH Educators Course alongside the Olympic Qualifiers. Pat is an Accredited FIH trainer and educator.
- Convenor of Selectors for the NZ Masters selections
- Mentor for the Hockey NZ Coaching Team
- Member of the Sport New Zealand Coaching team who traveled overseas to team to experience the World Rugby Coach Educator Programme. From this experience the team designed and started the first Sport New Zealand Developer Programme. Since then, the developer approach has become a critical part of national and local coaching systems.
- Additional, Pat was recently involved in the first ever Match Officials Developer Programme, which has been the catalyst for sports growing the developer approach into their officials space.
- Coaching lead for Sport Canterbury as part of the Sport New Zealand RST network. This enabled Pat to impact coaching both locally and nationally, with a focus on growing others and empowering them to lead.
- Regular member in the panel for the Prime Minister Scholarships for Coaching. Pat’s inclusion in the panel reflects the respect and acknowledgement the sector has for her knowledge and experience of coaching from community to high performance.