Hockey is estimated to be the third most played sport in the world, with men and women in more than 100 countries taking to the field to play hockey. It is a universal and uniting sport that transcends age, race, gender, geography and ability. Here are our top seven reasons why hockey is for everyone, including you.
- There are a range of formats for everyone to enjoy: Hockey is not a one-size-fits-all sport. There are multiple hockey formats available to play. For adults, there is Walking Hockey which is designed for those who prefer a less strenuous workout. Renegade Hockey is played in summer and without limits (well maybe some!) and, for those who have a couple of skills up their sleeves, there’s Masters! For kids there is our Small Sticks junior hockey programme that offers a range of levels for children as young as one year old. Our Fun Sticks and Mini Sticks levels focus on enjoyable skill development and small-sided games.
- We focus on fun, friendship and development: For our younger generations, we want to ensure children have positive experiences playing hockey. This is why our programmes focus on fun, friendship and developing not just hockey skills but intra and interpersonal skills to last them a lifetime.
- Hockey as a connected community: If you have ever been down to a turf on the weekend, you will notice that there is a real sense of community in and around the field. We are a true hockey whanau if there ever was one, with so many people volunteering hours of their time week in and week out to support clubs, associations, and teams. It is a community that welcomes, relies on, and encourages everyone.
- We are a true dual-gender sport: Unlike many other sports, hockey in New Zealand is played by 51% females and 49% males, providing equal opportunities for all.
- Exposure to the best is right on your doorstep: For several years now, to ensure we can inspire the next generation, we have been able to host some of the best hockey teams in the world right here in our very own backyard. This gives younger players exposure to the best players in the world and encourages them to dare to dream. Despite representing New Zealand many of these elite players still play for their local clubs when they are available, which gives up and coming players the opportunity to play with and compete against the best in the country.
- You don’t have to play to be involved in hockey: There are plenty of opportunities around the country to get involved in hockey – from coaching and umpiring to managing teams and taking part as an administrator. As we mentioned above, it is a real community no matter what role you play.
- We play all year, all seasons: Hockey is a year-round sport and because it is usually played on synthetic turf, we rarely have an issue with unplayable pitches. We also benefit from not having to share most of our turfs with other sports, giving us more flexibility to schedule training sessions and matches.
To encourage your young ones to join in the fun of hockey, we are bringing a slice of the turf to the homes of five lucky winners! We have teamed up with Polytan – the Official Surface Partner of Hockey New Zealand, to giveaway 5x Hockey Dream It Prize Packs which include:
- A 2x2m Hockey Skills Mat
- A Kookaburra hockey stick and ball
- A Vantage Black Sticks women’s or men’s playing shirt.
For the chance to win one of these awesome prize packs, simply enter here: https://polytan.com.au/dreamit/. Entries close April 25, 2021 at 11:59 pm. Good luck and happy practicing!